Saturday, October 30, 2010

All Hallowed Out...

Halloween. The time of year when everything macabre, scary, ghastly, frightening and terrifying is given a welcome leave of absence from the tortured depths of our subconscious and allowed free reign in the real world. It's the season when ghosts, goblins, monsters and spectres mingle casually with superheroes, princesses, aliens and robots. The imagination shifts into overdrive, finding new and creative ways to scare, thrill and sometimes nauseate. As with every other facet of life, celebrations of All Hallow's Eve range from cute to whimsical, from funny to horrifying.

I love dressing up for Halloween. I always have. I never had a favorite costume, though; each year saw something new, something different. I've been an Elliot Ness-style federal agent, a fly and an accident victim. The last time I went to a Halloween party, it was a 1930s theme, so I went as a mobster. Even had a pencil-thin mustache and slicked-back black hair. The violin case really made it work. It's always fun dressing up and being someone else; or rather, your interpretation of someone else. It's role play, a chance to try on another life, personality or facade for just a day.

Unfortunately, a good portion of my friends and family don't share my love of Halloween. They're too cool for school, as it were. It's almost beneath them. To each their own, I guess, but it makes finding something fun to do difficult. My friends that do enjoy it are, like me, not always able to, be it scheduling conflicts or monetary considerations. It's tough sometimes, but we always try to make the best of it.

This year, since Halloween falls on a Sunday, it's a football theme party we're doing, complete with a tailgate chili cook-off contest. This guarantees that even the people who don't love Halloween show up in costume - let's face it, this is Broncos Country, so everyone has a jersey, T-shirt, sweatshirt or hat in their closet. It's a law.

It is, really. Look it up.

My friends Doug and Trisha are kindly opening their home to the festivities. The game, and therefore the party, kicks off at 11 am, so it's either going to be a short event or it'll turn into an all-day gathering. You never know; could go either way with this crowd.

Trisha's sister Dianna is in town for her annual visit. To celebrate, a group of us went to this dive bar called MVP's for karaoke last night. It was my first time out in a while, so needless to say I'm still kinda nursing the hangover. Ugh. Too old for this crap...but damn it was fun!

So this year, my Halloween plans are a little tame. Still going to be a great time, but I'm missing the costumes and parties. Definitely next year. There's a plan. So what about you guys? What are your plans for this most spooky of holidays? Any parties to attend? Trick & treating with the kids, or by yourself? Or are you going to be like my parents and turn off the outside lights and hide in the family room? What are your favorite Halloween memories, your favorite costumes or stories?

Share and share alike. Happy Halloween!

0 comments:

Post a Comment